AmericanTowns has gone from an uncertain strategy a few years ago to profitability according to a release out this morning. The release lists milestones the site has achieved (verbatim):
- AmericanTowns.com traffic has continued to double every 6 months, reaching over 3 million unique visitors in January. (Source: Google Analytics; excludes partner sites with our content.)
- Ranked in the top 700 US websites by Quantcast, AmericanTowns.com has the highest daily traffic of any network of hyper-local community websites.
- Revenues again grew even faster than traffic growth in the quarter, dominated by local advertisers seeking local customers, at over 75% of advertising revenues.
- The Company is now profitable, including all costs of its 15,000 community sites, content distribution to partner sites, and all corporate overhead.
- AmericanTowns.com now includes thousands of locally-relevant blogs and receives over 60,000 announcements and event postings directly from community leaders to the site each month. Each day AmericanTowns.com features over 100,000 news stories and over 500,000 locally-related tweets.
The success of the site is happening largely under the radar of most local industry observers. Local events is one of the site’s core strengths.