UK directory publisher Yell has introduced its own maps on the site and on mobile phones. The new maps were developed in conjunction with Tridoo, which was providing Yell maps for mobile. Map data are from Navteq.
According to the company, the improvements include:
- Ability to search within the map for local businesses and services
- Faster response and better geo-coding for increased accuracy
- Consistent experience across web and mobile
- Quarterly updates to keep information as accurate as possible
- Brand new design with bespoke color-scheme and bigger, clearer maps
The new maps allow for one-click finding of different categories of businesses and information:
It’s worth noting that in the US all the major YP publishers except RHD/Dex use Bing Maps. Dex uses Google.
Yell is the parent company of US publisher Yellowbook. In 2009 the Internet contributed 24% of Yell’s UK revenues.