Maybe that’s what I should rename my blog :) I’ve got meetings back to back all day and so little time to write in depth.
Here’s what’s going on:
- Ask lets you custom designate an area for local search. This is very helpful, a kind of consumer mirror of the “custom polygon” approach Google AdWords took to local ad targeting.
- Yahoo! turns Answers into a social network.
- The OPA issued a bullish new mobile report. Here’s the report and here’s MediaPost’s summary.
- Via SEL, Google wins it’s patent dispute over Google Earth. Not that anyone out there was paying attention, but it removes a “cloud” so-to-speak over the product. Google Finance adds new features (via GigaOM).
- Skype Prime challenges Ingenio’s Ether for consulting infrastructure (and includes video). More from TechCrunch.
- Automakers are offering chat as a sales tool. Chat is underutilized as a marketing vehicle and there are some interesting things going on here.
- MSFT’s head of search to depart.
- Local.com backs away from soUno acqusition.
- Finally, Local Matters’ destination search platform is live on DexOnline (been live for a little while).
- Sony PlayStation Home offers 3-D world (think Second Life on steriods because of the installed base and TV environment). Here’s more from the WSJ (sub req’d)
- Next New Networks to launch network of niche video sites.
Crazy day. More later.